Sunday, May 9, 2010

Happy Mother's Day!!!

So since I'm in Italy and won't get to spend the day with my family, I figured this would be a good place to express my love for my mummy!

One memory I have of my mom was when I was probably in my late years of Elementary school. Mom used to play the piano a lot when we were younger, playing while my sister or I sang or just sitting down and playing through song books. I remember my little brother--who, with no doubt, watched our older brother as he was starting to excel in music--decided that he would write music himself. He would bring lined school paper that (honestly) had gibberish. Knowing what I know now, I don't think he was even using a staff or bar lines. Just note after meaningless note.

He would then hand the paper to my mom, wanting to hear what his masterpiece sounded like. She'd place the paper carefully on the piano, sit down, and make the most beautiful song. We were all amazed! We had a prodigy in the family!

It wasn't until one day our uncle came into town and watched us when our parents went out, that it even occured to me what was going on. Matt asked him if he played the piano. He said that he did play a little and---excited--Matt brought him his music. Our uncle sat down to play it, fumbling for a few minutes, and then said "Well... I think this is just a little too complicated for me."

That's about when I realized my mom had been making it all up.

My mom has always encouraged and supported us in our endeavors. As we've become older she's also given us sound advice and needed critisism to help us improve, but I know she's always been there when it was most important to me!

So Happy Mother's Day Mom!!!

Love,
Marie

P.S.
Your mother's day gift is in the guest room, third shelf on the bookcase in the little yellow mug. Just in case Dad forgets :)

1 comment:

  1. I found it! And I guess I won't go to my grave with the little piano secret now either :) Love you and have a great time today!

    ReplyDelete